Sunday, February 27, 2011

casting parts

Some people have asked me about how I do eyes & noses, so here's a little sneak peek! First up: Noses!

I start with a paper clay sculpture. Paperclay is cheap, dries (relatively) quickly, around 4-5 hours on a dry day, and is pretty forgiving as far as correcting imperfections with sanding etc. For this nose I wanted something toony, but still 'pebbly' textured. Somewhere between a realistic dog nose and something off Pluto.


Then I mount the paperclay to board & spray with a release agent. I like using an acrylic sheet because I can stick dams of sculpting plasticine to it and get a liquid tight seal. This time I used lego blocks to build a box around the nose, filling the gaps with plasticine. I ended up lining the box with a plastic baggy because I hate cleaning up leaky casts!
One tip for pouring your molding material; pour high! It prevents air bubbles from developing in the molding material. See TapPlastic's website for excellent casting/mold making techniques & products!


Once the molding material cures, peel the acrylic backing off the mold, and out pops the paperclay sculpture!



I trimmed the extra bits off the mold, popped it back into it's support lego box, and then poured my cast material in. For this nose I used a semi-hard polyurethane tinted with black pigment.

It's squishy, soft to the touch, and people seem to like to beep it!

No comments:

Post a Comment