Thursday, August 25, 2011

sculpted dragon

I've taken a short (but much-needed) break from the series of sewn dolls I'm currently working on. A holiday just isn't a holiday without some kind of artistic outlet!
But it's been frustrating. Between difficulty in casting resin parts for one, and difficulty working with the vinyl of another, I'm frustrated! So... to keep from hacking things apart with the pinking shears, I'm doing some therapeutic sculpting.


I haven't sculpted anything in months; most of my focus has been on BIG things. Or cuddly things. Not delicate little itty-bitty things. I forgot how pleasant it is!

I used some of my doll armature wire to build the skeleton for the dragon, and the horns & ears were sculpted onto some of my 3" quilting pins I sacrificed for the occasion. Can you believe I sculpted most of this with a darning needle? I find conventional sculpting tools too big and unwieldy for itty-bitty things.

Once the paint is dry and fixed with some marine epoxy, I'm going to play with the needle felting kit to build her a nice zebra-dragon body. Can you spot her little wing thumbs in the pictures? This one's going to be cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment